Born on January 10.
Moves to Madrid to study architecture at the Universidad de Madrid.
- Drops out of architecture school to study drawing at the Círculo de Bellas Artes in Madrid.
- Works in José Martínez Repullés's sculpture studio, where he creates his first sculpture.
Moves to Paris, where he forges a friendship with artist Pablo Palazuelo.
Participates in the Salon de Mai in Paris.
Takes part in the exhibition Les mains éblouiesat Galerie Maeght in Paris. Marries Pilar Belzunce.
- Returns to the Spanish province of Guipúzcoa, settling in Hernani.
- Creates his first work in bronze.
- Has his first solo exhibition in Spain, at Galería Clan in Madrid.
- Creates four doors for the Basílica Nuestra Señora de Aránzazu in Oñate, Spain.
The Kunsthalle Bern presents an exhibition of his work.
Exhibits at Galerie Maeght in Paris.
- Receives the International Grand Prize for Sculpture at the XXIX Biennale di Venezia.
- Chillida's work is featured in Sculpture and Drawings from Seven Sculptors at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York.
- Receives the Graham Foundation Award and exhibits at the Graham Foundation in Chicago.
- Participates in Documenta 2 in Kassel, Germany.
- Creates his first etchings, first works in wood, and first works in steel.
- Receives the Kandinsky Prize, awarded by the ArtChronika Cultural Fund.
- Forges a friendship with sculptor Alberto Giacometti.
Exhibits at Galerie Maeght in Paris.
Receives the Carnegie Prize, awarded by the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh.
Exhibits at Tunnard Gallery in London and the Kestnergesellschaft Hannover.
- The Museum of Fine Arts in Houston organizes a retrospective exhibition of Chillida's work.
- Receives the inaugural Wilhelm-Lehmbruck-Award from the city of Duisburg, Germany. In conjunction with the prize, the Wilhelm Lehmbruck Museum mounts an exhibition of his work.
- Founds the group GAUR with Amable Arias, Nestor Basterretxea, Remigio Mendiburu, Jorge Oteiza, Rafael Ruiz Balerdi, José Antonio Sistiaga, and José Luis Zumeta.
Takes part in the exhibition Dix ans d'art vivantat the Fondation Maeght in Saint-Paul de Vence, France. Aromas, a series of writings by Chillida, is published.
- Chillida's Alrededor del vacío IV is installed at the Kunstmuseum Basel.
- Takes part in Documenta 4 in Kassel, Germany.
- Chillida's Peine del viento IV is installed opposite the UNESCO headquarters in Paris.
- Illustrates Martin Heidegger's Die Kunst und der Raum.
- Exhibits at the Frankfurter Kunstkabinett in Frankfurt and the Lunds Konsthall in Lund, Sweden.
- Receives the Wellington Prize for Sculpture in Madrid.
- Invited to teach at the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts at Harvard University.
- Forges a friendship with poet Jorge Guillén.
The Ulmer Museum in Ulm, Germany, organizes an exhibition of Chillida's graphic work.
Receives the Rembrandt-Preis from the Johann Wolfgang von Goethe-Stiftung.
- Chillida's work is displayed at the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts at Harvard University.
- The series Los peines de los vientos is installed in San Sebastián, Spain.
- The Staatliche Kunsthalle Baden-Baden presents an exhibition of his work.
- Chillida's Lugar de encuentros III is installed on the Paseo de la Castellana in Madrid.
- Receives, together with Willem de Kooning, the Andrew W. Mellon Prize, which is accompanied by an exhibition of work by both artists at the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh.
- The National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., organizes a retrospective exhibition of Chillida's etchings.
- The Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh mounts an anthological exhibition of the artist, which shows more than two hundred works.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York presents an exhibition of Chillida's work that later travels to Madrid and Bilbao.
- Chillida's Lugar de encuentros IV is installed permanently at the Museo de Bellas Artes in Bilbao.
- Receives the Medalla de Oro al Mérito en las Bellas Artes from the Spanish Ministry of Culture.
- Exhibits at Galerie Beyeler in Basel.
- In collaboration with architect Luis Peña Ganchegui, creates Plaza de los Fueros in Vitoria, Spain.
Receives the European Prize for Fine Arts, Strasbourg, France.
Awarded the Grand Prix National des Beaux-Arts by the French government.
- Exhibits at Galerie Lelong in Zurich.
- Receives the Kaiserring prize from the city of Goslar, Germany.
Exhibits at the Fundació Joan Miró in Barcelona.
Receives the Premio Príncipe de Asturias for the arts from the Fundación Príncipe de Asturias.
- Exhibits the Gravitaciones series at Galería Theo in Madrid.
- Receives the Orden Pour le Mérite für Wissenschaften und Künste from the German government.
The retrospective exhibition Dibujos y esculturas, 19481989 is presented at the Kunstmuseum Bonn and the Landesmuseum für Kunst und Kulturgeschichte Münster.
- Chillida's work is displayed at the Hayward Gallery in London.
- The XLIV Biennale di Venezia includes a solo exhibition of Chillida's work at Palacio Ca' Pesaro in Venice. Chillida'sElogio del horizonte is installed in Gijón, Spain.
- The Kunsthalle Basel presents an exhibition of his outdoor sculptures.
- A retrospective of Chillida's work is inaugurated at the Palacio de Revillagigedo in Gijón, Spain, and later travels to the Sala Rekalde in Bilbao.
- Receives the Praemium Imperiale from the Japan Art Association.
Chillida's first exhibition in his native city is presented at the Palacio Real de Miramar.
- The Schirn Kunsthalle Frankfurt presents an exhibition of Chillida's work.
- Elected an honorary member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
Named an honorary member of the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando, Madrid.
- Exhibits at the Museum Würth in Künzelsau, Germany.
- The Royal Academy of Arts in London awards Chillida the Jack Goldhill Award for Sculpture.
Receives the Lifetime Achievement Award from the International Sculpture Center in Washington, D.C.
- The Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía in Madrid presents an exhibition of Chillida's work that later travels to the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao. The Institut Valencià
- d'Art Modern in Valencia, Spain, presents the show Chillida: Elogio del hierro.
The Museo Chillida-Leku opens in Hernani, Spain.
The Musée du Jeu de Paume in Paris and the Kunstmuseum Bonn present exhibitions of Chillida's work.
- Hand sketches by Chillida are exhibited at the Sala Bancaja in Valencia, Spain.
- Receives the Medaille des Arts from the Académie d'Architecture in Paris.
- Dies on August 19 and is buried in Chillida-Leku, Hernani.
Posthumously awarded the Premi Internacional Julio González from the Institut Valencià d'Art Modern in Valencia, Spain, and the Orden del Mérito Constitucional by the Spanish government.