Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia (born in 1978, Cd. Ju?arez, Chihuahua, Me?xico): Lives and work in Los Angeles, California. Through weaving painted paper, he creates exquisitely colorful mosaics that explore abstraction through the use of color and pattern.
MFA, Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles, CA 2003 BA, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
University of Texas, El Paso, TX
Selected Solo Exhibiciones
Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia: Mis Papeles, Vincent Price Art Museum, Monterey Park, CA
Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia: Wild Frontier, David Allan Hubbard Library, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, CA
- Ni tanto que queme al santo, ni tanto que no lo alumbre, CB1 Gallery, Los Angeles, CA 2012
- Papel Tejido, CB1 Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
by Deborah Calderwood, CB1 Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
Jobs,oil and two more togo...,AnaloguePress,LosAngeles,CA
Solo Art Fair Exhibitions
- Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, Artist Row, USC Campus, Los Angeles, CA
- 2013 PINTA New York, CB1 Gallery
Selected Group Exhibiciones
- PAPER; GROUND, CB1 Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Cut From The Same Cloth, Charlie James Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- ENCOR!, CB1 Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Love is In The Air, 2A Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Potential Bodies, The Space, Los Angeles, CA
- Five by Five, CB1 Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- O.R. Gallery Inaugural Exhibition, OTIS Grad Studios, Culver City, CA Attunement, Armory Center for the Arts, Pasadena, CA
- Cakewalk, HUDSON|LINC, Los Angeles, CA
- A Few of My Favorite Things, CB1 Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- Campus, Harris Art Gallery at the University of La Verne, La Verne, CA
- Gravity, Long Beach City College, Long Beach, CA
- Selections from the Grunwald Center and the Hammer Contemporary Collection, Hammer Museum, Los Angeles, CA
- Art of Paper 2012: The 42nd Biennial, Weatherspoon Art Museum, Greensboro, NC
- The Mosaic Project, The Main Gallery at Pennsylvania College of Art and Design, Lancaster, PA EDGE, Da Vinci Gallery, LACC, Los Angeles, CA
- Globalize THIS! International Graphics of Resistance, Ben Maitz Gallery, Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles, CA
- CB1 at The Colburn School, Los Angeles, CA
Inside Out, Harris Gallery, University of La Verne, La Verne, CA
- The Story of O: Graduate Fine Arts 1989 2009, Ben Maltz Gallery, Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles, CA
- Collectors Choice, Latino Art Museum, Pomona, CA 2009 Collectors Choice, Chim Maya, LosAngeles, CA
- STATION MUST GO, Raw Materials, Ventura, CA
Station Collective, El Nopal Press, LosAngeles,CA
REMOVE, Bolsky Gallery, Otis College of Art and Design, LosAngeles, CA
- Resolutions, Bolsky Gallery, Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles, CA 2006
- Xican @ Dimiurge:An Immediate Survey, Pharmaka Art,LosAngeles, CA
- Double Take, Gallery Duo, Los Angeles, CA
- 2005 SmallerIs, Andrew Shire Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- 2004 SITE Project, Border Arts Residency, El Paso, TX
Public & Private Collections
- The Hammer Museum
- University of La Verne
- Chevron Corporation
The Hermitage Artist Retreat
2009 - present
Assistant Professor of Communication Arts, Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles,
2008 - 2009
CA Printmaking Technical Support Service, Otis College of Art and Design, Los Angeles, CA
2007 - 2009
Printmaker, Cirrus, Los Angeles, CA
Master Printer, Analogue Press, Los Angeles CA
St. Johns Episcopal Cathedral and CB1 Gallery
- Peter J. Mulroy, Latinos In The US: Artist Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia Talks Growing Up In Mexico, College Experience And Inspirations. Latin Times, Lifestyle 20, February, 2014.
- Brown, Be y Ann, North to California. Artweek.LA, January 20, 2014 (ill.
- Pagel, David. A World where nothing is still. Los Angeles Times 19, December, 2013: D19.
- Cadigan, Morgan. Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia. seeMag, Feature. Spring 2014 (ill.) Donnan, Kieran, Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia. The 22 Magazine. February 2014 (ill.)
Neel, Tucker, Profile: Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia, Artillery Magazine, Summer 2013
- Hurtado Segovia, Neel/Mandujano, by Deborah Calderwood, Los Angeles, CA (cat.)
- Pagel, David, Art Review: Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia at CB1 Gallery, Los Angeles Times, 9. February 2012.
- Fitzpatrick, Kyle, A Word With Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia, Los Angeles Im Yours, 6 February, 2012
- Moret, A. Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia: by Deborah Calderwood at CB1 Gallery. Art Ltd, July/Auguest 2010
- Benmaltz Gallery, Otis College of Art and Design. The Story of O. Los Angeles
- Nys Dambrot, Shana. Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia: by Deborah Calderwood. flavorpill.com. 4 April, 2010.
- Neel, Tucker. Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia by Deborah Calderwood. Pleased To Present. 27 July, 2010.
Buckley, Annie. Station Collective: A Post-School Production. OMAG. 2009 Vol.7: 6
Gallegos, Kathy. REBEL LEGACY The Abstract in Latino Art. Los Angeles: Pharmaka Press, 2008.
Andrade, Michelle et. al. REMOVE. Los Angeles
Goldman, Natasha. SITEproject Border Art Residency. Artlies. Vol. 46, Spring 2005: 100.
Nevarez, Rene and Willie Ray Parish. The SILOS border art residency SITEproject. El Paso: Border Art Residency, 2005.
- Carolina A. Miranda, Los Angeles Times, Art swap: That 50-cent thrift-store painting? It might be a Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia original, August 14, 2015
- Christopher Michno, Art Ltd., March, 2015
- Moto Okawa, Better Luck Tomorrow, March 13, 2015
Betty Ann Brown, Artweek.LA, January 20, 2014
- Pagel, David, Los Angeles Time, Review, December 19, 2013
- Neel, Tucker, artillery, Profiles, Q&A, April, 24, 2013
- Pagel, David, Los Angeles Times, Art review: Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia at CB1 Gallery, February 9, 2012 2012 Fitzpatrick, Kyle, Los Angeles Im Yours, A Word With Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia, February 6, 2012 2010 Neel, Tucker, Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia by Deborah Calderwood, July 27, 2010
Flavorpill, Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia: by Deborah Calderwood, May, 2010